Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Donor advised funds
- Commercial annuities
It is very simple to name the University of Pittsburgh as a beneficiary. Start by requesting a change-of-beneficiary form from your policy administrator or download the form from your provider's website. Make your desired changes and return the form to establish your gift.
See How It Works
Download our complimentary guide Beneficiary Designations: Easy Ways to Leave Your Legacy.View My Guide
Gifts That Pay
Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 60, we recommend that you learn more about your options and download this complimentary guide Deferred Gift Annuities: Plan Now, Benefit Later.View My Guide
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they have been able to give their children and the University of Pittsburgh over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left the University of Pittsburgh a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because the University of Pittsburgh is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
- Contact the administrator of your retirement plan, insurance policy, or bank account for a change-of-beneficiary form, or simply download a form from your provider's website.
- Download the factsheet.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like the University of Pittsburgh to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form. Return the completed form.
- Contact us to let us know your goals for the gift so we can ensure it is used as you intend.
- The notification address should be: University of Pittsburgh, Park Plaza, 128 N. Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260.
Legal name: University of Pittsburgh of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education
Address: 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Federal tax ID number: 25-0965591